This Mac & Cheese is a development of our previous recipe. It is chock full of delicious vegetables and a perfect way of getting some of those 5 a day into your little one’s diet! The best thing? It’s perfect for fussy eaters who may have trouble eating those pesky little veggies off their plate!
Total Time Including Prep: Under 1 hour
Servings: 2 Adults & 2 Children
If you like this, why not try our Family Friendly Chicken Curry?
- 150g butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 100g cauliflower florets
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 40g unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 650ml semi-skimmed milk
- 175g white cheddar cheese
- 1 slice day-old brown bread, blitzed into crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 200C / fan 180C.
- Put the butternut squash, cauliflower and leek in a steamer over boiling water.Steam for 20 minutes mins or until tender. Drain and then blitz in a food processor until smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions then drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the leek and cook for 2 mins.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins more.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk then return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Simmer for 5 mins.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butternut squash and cauliflower puree then 125g of the cheese.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.